Signs You May Be a Victim
ID theft can happen at any time. It’s good to do a quick check at least once a month to catch potential problems early.
Here are common signs that you may be a victim of ID theft:
- You see unexplained withdrawals from your bank account
- You see unfamiliar or unexplained items on your credit report
- You don’t get your bills or other mail
- Stores refuse to take your checks
- Debt collectors call you about debts that aren’t yours
- You receive a rejection notice for a job you did not apply for
You might also get bills for medical care you didn’t receive or a letter from the IRS notifying you that more than one tax return was filed in your name.
If you see any of these activities, take action immediately.