Preparing for College
Beyond the Books
Five Things Admissions Officers Want To See
Getting the attention of college admissions officers means distinguishing yourself from other candidates. Here are a few things that will help your application stand out.
- Demonstrate that you know yourself, understand the college and its mission, and that you have a plan to succeed in school and in your career.
- Let them get to know you, your values, and what motivates you (avoid laundry lists or bragging).
- Show you can succeed both academically and in your career by your grades, test scores, and letters of recommendation.
- Show life balance with interests and activities you have outside of school, such as volunteer work, clubs, or membership in an association.
- Demonstrate passion to achieve your goals and what they mean to you through your essay.