New Texas B-On-Time Loan Program resources available on AIE
TG — the organization that brings you Counselors Network — has worked for more than 30 years to promote educational access and help students succeed in college. At the core of that mission is TG's work to help students and families understand federal student loan programs, from filling out the FAFSA to successful repayment. Recently, TG has been working to increase understanding of a state student loan program as well—the Texas B-On-Time Student Loan Program.
As you may know, the Texas B-On-Time (BOT) Loan Program provides zero-interest loans to Texas undergraduate students. Since the program is designed to encourage Texas students to be on time for graduation while meeting high academic standards, the loan can be converted to a grant (that is, forgiven) for student borrowers who finish their degrees or certificates with at least a 3.0 average.
Simply put, this program is a good deal. If a borrower qualifies for loan forgiveness, great — he or she won't have to pay back the BOT loan, and graduating within the specified time period may mean the chance to start working and earning a paycheck earlier. If a borrower doesn't qualify for loan forgiveness, he or she has still financed part of a college education with a zero-interest loan, and you literally can't get a better interest rate than that.
To help prospective and current borrowers understand how the BOT loan works, TG has developed a variety of resources, including:
- A BOT loan information page for prospective borrowers on Adventures In Education (AIE™)
- An informational brochure explaining the terms of the loan and the application process
- A brochure for BOT loan borrowers who have graduated or left school, explaining the forgiveness and repayment processes
- A calculator for current BOT loan borrowers, to help them determine the GPA they need to earn on their remaining courses in order to qualify for renewal eligibility and/or for forgiveness
- A counselor- and principal-facing page to help make education professionals aware of TG's new BOT loan resources
Check out the links above to get a sense of how TG is raising awareness about this beneficial state program. And keep a look out in Counselors Network for announcements of other BOT-related materials now in the works.