Plan for College

Learn how to prepare for the education and training that will get you your dream job.

Five Things Undocumented Students Should Know About College

A quick guide to help you know your college options

If you're an undocumented student wondering about your college prospects, here are some things to know as you apply for admissions and search for financing.

  1. You can go to college, but you will have to do some searching. Some states allow undocumented students to apply to college. If you have a college in mind, contact the admissions or registrar's office and find out the school's policy with regard to admitting undocumented students. Or you could browse the school's website to learn its requirements.
  2. You can get help to pay for college. You cannot get federal aid for college, but you may be able to receive state aid in certain states. You also might qualify for in-state tuition. Again, it's best to contact the school you're interested in, and talk with a financial aid officer about tuition rates for undocumented students. Note that there are scholarships available specifically for undocumented students or are not residency based. The easiest way to find them is by searching online.
  3. You may be able to get state financial aid in Texas. You may qualify for college admission as a state resident and be eligible for state financial aid at any institution, public or private, if you meet the following requirements:
    • You've lived in Texas for three years before receiving your high school diploma or GED.
    • You affirm that you will apply for permanent residence at your nearest opportunity.
    • If you don't go to college immediately after high school, you must live in Texas at least one year before enrolling in college.
  4. To apply for financial aid in Texas, you may be able to use the TASFA or FAFSA. If you meet the Texas residency requirements listed above, you can apply for state aid by submitting the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) or a paper Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have a school in mind, refer to the TASFA's Notes page to find out if your school accepts the TASFA. Otherwise contact the financial aid office to find out which application the school prefers.
  5. To do well in college, you should take advantage of any academic and support services. You're more likely to thrive in school if you feel part of the campus community. Take advantage of campus tutoring services and mentoring program for first-generation or undocumented students. Also join social groups that match your interests or background.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now