Plan for College
Learn how to prepare for the education and training that will get you your dream job.
Admissions Fact or Fiction
Find out how much you know about getting into college
Take this short quiz to learn some valuable facts about college admissions.
- Only the top 10 percent of high school graduates get accepted to college. Fact or Fiction?
- Fiction. Community colleges accept most students that apply. Four-year schools have varied enrollment policies, but many accept students based on a variety of factors, not just high school standing.
- Fiction. Colleges and universities don’t require students declare a major until later in their academic careers.
- Fiction. Schools base their decisions on a consideration of many things, including grades, letters of recommendation, and more. See the application checklist.
- Fact. Most admissions professionals recommend students apply to more than three schools. That way, the student has a better chance of being accepted to at least one school on his or her preferred list. See Understanding How Admissions Works.
- Fiction. Most schools will accept applications through March before the next fall semester, and some will admit students up to the beginning of a semester or term.
What's Your College's Admissions Policy?