Pay for College

Explore college costs and plan how you'll pay for your degree or certificate.

Financial Aid for Undocumented Students

If you're an undocumented student in Texas wondering about your college prospects, keep this in mind: Texas allows undocumented students to apply for state financial aid and in-state resident tuition rates under certain conditions. These rules apply to any institution in Texas, public or private.

Eligibility requirements

The institutions you apply to will determine your state residency status based on the following requirements:

  • You've lived in Texas for three years immediately before receiving your high school diploma or GED.
  • You plan to apply for permanent residency as soon as you are eligible. Please note that The parents’ residency status does not impact the student’s eligibility to apply for financial aid.

In addition in order to be eligible for financial aid:

  • Males must register with the Selective Service.
  • Students and/or parents must file U.S. income taxes if they meet the IRS income threshold for tax filing.

How to apply

To be considered for state aid, you must submit the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) to your college's financial aid office. Refer to the TASFA notes in the application link below to find out if the colleges you are applying to accept the TASFA. If they don’t accept the TASFA, you will need to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid ) instead.

Use the links below to complete, save, and then print the TASFA or FAFSA.

Mail the application with the appropriate signatures and a copy of the required documents to your chosen colleges.


Watch Completing the TASFA on YouTube (English version).

Also available: Completing the TASFA (Spanish version).

Application and instruction files (PDF format PDF):