Pay for College

Explore college costs and plan how you'll pay for your degree or certificate.

FAFSA Frequently Asked Questions

Refer to these FAQs as you complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA

Click questions to reveal answers. Open All | Close All

Q. Where can I get help with completing the FAFSA?

A. The Texas Financial Aid Information Center staff can help you complete the FAFSA and answer any related questions. Contact the Texas Financial Aid Information Center by calling (888) 311-8881 or by sending an email to Help is available in Spanish or English during normal business hours throughout the work week.

Q. Can I submit the FAFSA if I or my parents have not filed our tax returns?

A. Yes. If you or your parents have not filed returns, you can still submit the FAFSA. Once you or your parents file tax returns, correct any income or tax data and then resubmit your FAFSA.

Q. If I am not a U.S. citizen, can I receive financial aid?

A. To receive federal financial aid, you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen as defined on the FAFSA website. However, immigrant students may be eligible for state or college financial aid. If you have a Social Security number, you may complete the FAFSA. However, you should check with your high school counselor or your college to see whether completing the FAFSA is the way to apply for state and college aid.

Q. Does my parent's citizenship affect student eligibility for aid?

A. No. Parents without Social Security Numbers enter zeros in the parental SSN questions on the FAFSA. If using FAFSA on the Web, the parent must print and sign the signature page and mail it to the Department of Education.

Q. Where do I report a 529 prepaid tuition plan?

A. You should report the refund value of a prepaid tuition plan as an investment on the FAFSA.

Q. Where can I download and/or print the FAFSA to complete?

A. If you prefer to complete a paper version of the FAFSA, you can access and print the application online. You can also request a paper FAFSA by calling (800) 433-3243 or, for the hearing impaired, (800) 730-8913.

Q. Can I and/or my parent complete the FAFSA in Spanish?

A. Yes, you can complete the FAFSA with the Spanish version of the FAFSA on the Web.

Q. How does a change in my family's income affect my FAFSA?

A. Given a change in income, talk with your school's financial aid office right away. The school may be able to reevaluate your eligibility for financial aid given a loss of income.

Q. What if I am considered a dependent student according to the FAFSA, but I can't provide my parents' information for whatever reason?

A. Talk with your school's financial aid administrator. Certain exceptional situations may justify overriding the dependency status requirement. The decision to do this rests with your school.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now