Pay for College

Explore college costs and plan how you'll pay for your degree or certificate.

A Guide to the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA)

If you're an undocumented student in Texas wondering about your college prospects, keep this mind: Texas allows undocumented students to apply for state financial aid and state tuition under certain conditions.

Eligibility requirements

You may qualify for college admission as a state resident and be eligible for state financial aid at any institution in Texas, public or private if you meet the following requirements.

  • You've lived in Texas for three years before receiving your high school diploma or GED, and
  • You plan to apply for permanent residency soon.

How to apply

To be considered for aid, you must submit the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) or a paper Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to your college's financial aid office. If you have a school in mind, refer to the TASFA Notes to find out if your school accepts the TASFA.

  1. Complete, save, and then print the TASFA or FAFSA.
  2. Mail the application with the appropriate signatures and a copy of the required documents to the preferred colleges.

Application and instruction files (PDF format PDF):