Guide your students through applying to college, obtaining aid, and considering a career.
Admissions Fact or Fiction
Find out how much you know about getting into college
Take this short quiz to learn some valuable facts about college admissions.
- Only the top 10 percent of high school graduates get accepted to college. Fact or Fiction?
- Fiction. Community colleges accept most students that apply. Four-year schools have varied enrollment policies, but many accept students based on a variety of factors, not just high school standing.
- Fiction. Colleges and universities don’t require students declare a major until later in their academic careers.
- Fiction. Schools base their decisions on a consideration of many things, including grades, letters of recommendation, and more. See the application checklist.
- Fact. Most admissions professionals recommend students apply to more than three schools. That way, the student has a better chance of being accepted to at least one school on his or her preferred list. See Understanding How Admissions Works.
- Fiction. Most schools will accept applications through March before the next fall semester, and some will admit students up to the beginning of a semester or term.