About AIE

Non-U.S. Student Help


The United States Department of Education states that in order for international student to be eligible for financial aid (including loans), students must:

  • Have financial need, except for some loan programs.
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate, pass a test approved by the U.S. Department of Education, meet other standards your state establishes that are approved by the U.S. Department of Education, or complete a high school education in a home school setting that is treated as a home school or private school under state law. See your financial aid administrator for more information.
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program. (You may not receive aid for correspondence or telecommunications courses unless they are part of an associate, bachelor's, or graduate degree program.)
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen. You must be one of the following to receive federal student aid:
    • U.S. citizen
    • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island)
    • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)
    If you're not in one of these categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing one of the following designations in order to be eligible:
    • "Refugee"
    • "Asylum Granted"
    • "Indefinite Parole" and/or "Humanitarian Parole"
    • "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending"
    • "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)

If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you aren't eligible for federal student aid.

If you're in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa only, or on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only, you can't get federal student aid. Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible for federal student aid.

NOTE: Citizens and eligible noncitizens may receive loans from the Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program at participating foreign schools.

Citizens of the Republic of Palau are eligible only for Federal Pell Grants, FSEOGs, or Federal Work-Study. Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia and the Republic of the Marshall Islands are eligible only for Federal Pell Grants. These applicants should check with their financial aid administrators for more information.


You may want to visit the following sites for more information concerning international students:

  • eduPASS
    eduPASS provides information for international students who are thinking about pursuing an undergraduate, graduate, or professional education in the United States and contains material of interest to international students who are already in the United States.
  • International Student Exchange and Study Abroad Resource Center (InternationalStudent.com)
    InternationalStudent.com provides study abroad information, services and resources for international students.
  • Study in the USA
    Study in the USA is an education guide for international students containing profiles of hundreds of quality American programs in fifteen languages.
  • AIE Scholarship Search
    Adventures In Education offers a searchable database of scholarships. Some of these scholarships are open to non-U.S. students.

Good luck!

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now