Frequently Asked Questions About the FAFSA

Read through our list of FAQs about the FAFSA.

  1. Where can I get answers to other FAFSA questions and/or personal assistance in completing the FAFSA?

    The Texas Financial Aid Information Center staff is available to assist you in completing the FAFSA and answering FAFSA related questions during regular business hours. Texas Financial Aid Information Center representatives provide FAFSA support in both English and Spanish, and can be reached by calling, toll free, (888) 311-8881 or by email at:

  2. Can the FAFSA be submitted if the student or parents have not filed their tax returns?

    Yes. If the applicants have not filed their returns, they can still submit the FAFSA. Once the tax return has been filed, the applicant must correct any income or tax data that changed.

  3. Can a non-U.S. citizen receive financial aid?

    To receive Federal Financial Aid, students must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens, defined on the FAFSA website: However, immigrant students should still apply for financial aid because they may be eligible funds from the state or from the college.

  4. Does a parent's citizenship affect student eligibility?

    No. Parents without social security numbers enter zeros in the parental SSN questions on the FAFSA. If you are submiting FAFSA on the Web, you will then need to have your parent sign the printed signature page and mail it to the Department of Education.

  5. Where do you report a 529 prepaid tuition plan?

    You should report the refund value of a prepaid tuition plan as an investment on the FAFSA.

Here are other documents located on that you may be interested in: